Polar Bears Whip Crimson J.V., 7-6

Harvard Loses in Overtime

By Sandy Cardin

Two minutes and 50 seconds into the overtime period on Saturday afternoon, Bowdoin's Dave Boucher found the net and handed the Crimson junior varsity hockey team its second loss in as many games. The score was 7-6. Boucher's shot capped a Polar Bear comeback that seemed all but impossible.

The Crimson entered the third stanza with a comfortable 6-4 lead after outscoring Bowdoin in the second period, 4-1. But a power-play goal by Steve Dempsey at 10:18 of the period, and a bizarre finish which saw Bowdoin score just as time ran out, sent the game into overtime.

Kleinberg's Exodus

Bowdoin tried to pull its goalie with as much as 1:46 remaining but Crimson pressure in the Bears' end would not allow it. Then, with just 20 seconds to play, Bowdoin goalie Eric Kleinberg headed for the bench--not a second too soon. For at 19:59 of the period, Bowdoin scored and sent the game into overtime.

Harvard opened the scoring in the roughly played game which saw 33 minutes in penalties called by the referees. At 3:27 of the first period, John Dunderdale scored a power-play goal on a slapper from the left point. Assists went to Dave MacKinnon and Ken Farrish.

Retaliation

Just 30 seconds later, however, Bowdoin tallied to tie at 1-1. One minute after Bowdoin's goal, Lyman Bullard was on the receiving end of a perfect Ken Dummitt pass and put Harvard back in front, 2-1. Dave MacKinnon, who played well all game, also assisted on this score.

It took Bowdoin all of 30 seconds to tie it up again as Andy Minich took the face-off from Roger Elliott and fired a shot into the upper corner behind an amazed Harvard goaltender, Barry Wald. The visitors grabbed the lead for the first time just one minute and 30 seconds later.

Where the Happy People Go

With defense a forgotten word, this incredible stretch saw five goals scored in a matter of three minutes.

In the second frame, Bowdoin managed to sandwich one goal between two Harvard splurges. Just 1:47 into the period, the Crimson's Dave MacKinnon tied the game at 3-3 on passes from Mike Clasby and Ken Dummitt. Fifty-three seconds later, the Crimson regained their lead on a John Moot goal assisted by Ken Dummitt, his last of three assists on the day. Moot's goal came as the Crimson enjoyed a two-man advantage.

Bowdoin retied the game on a power-play goal of its own before Ken Farrish tallied at 14:16 on a pass from MacKinnon to give Harvard a 5-4 lead. Then, at 15:30, Bullard scored his second goal of the day on a rebound of a Charlie Flint shot. The six tallies were all Harvard could manage, hwoever, as an effective Kleinberg had 33 saves. His counterpart, Barry Wald, had 18 saves.

Beechwood Aged

The loss dropped the team's record to 2-2 with games remaining against the Harvard freshmen and the Budweiser Kings before Christmas vacation.