Western Praise

THE MAIL

By Maurice Levin

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Joe Dalton's cover article in today's What is to be Done? is one of the finest pieces I've read in some time. Though, as a native Los Angelino, I do not often kindly react to the disdain with which the "Eastern Press" regards anything coming from Southern California, I must heartily agree with Mr. Dalton's assessment of the current state of Bob Dylan and his music (pardon the run-on). Hard Rain (both the album and the TV special) was a bitter disappointment musically and aesthetically. Dylan, in the attempt to change his image from Bob Dylan the rebel to Bob Dylan the Pop Star, has succeeded monetarily, but the substance of his material lacks the energy and purpose it once had. Where James Taylor has succeeded and Joan Baez is attempting to do so, Dylan seems happy to rest on his rebel laurels and give token support to men such as Rubin "Hurricane" Carter (Where is Dylan now when Carter is struggling with the New Jersey legal system?... Probably basking in the sun at Zuna Beach, discussing house plans with Neil Young.).

By the way, what about Neil Young? No, this does seem to be a needless digression... However, I must again compliment Joe Dalton on his fine article. I hope to see more from him in the future.