Exeter Topples Radcliffe J.V.; Tung, Worsley, Cliffe Winners

By David A. Wilson

The Radcliffe JV squash team bowed to the Exeter varsity squad yesterday in a close match, 3-2.

The contest marked the raquetwomen's third loss in as many tries this season.

Nevertheless, coach Eric Cutler said yesterday he is optimistic that by February the team will show great improvement. "All the girls played well in their matches." Cutler said.

Becky Tung, playing in the number two position, made fast work of her opponent in straight games, 15-9, 15-4, 15-11.

In the fifth slot, Nelia Worsely disposed of her rival 3-2. But Tung and Worsely were Radcliffe's lone victors. Margo McClade played a tough match against an exceptionally quick opponent in the number one position, finally going down to defeat 17-16 in the fifth game.

Ginger Thomson and Meg Losser, at third and fourth seed, went down to defeat, with Thomson battling through four close games.

Marina Castaneda, who normally plays number three, did not make the trip to Exeter, so the three, four, and five players were all playing out of position.

Cutler said the team is becoming very competitive despite the early losses. "None of the girls have ever played competitive squash before, and some are just starting the game altogether," he said, adding, "They're playing good squash and they're learning."

Cutler said Becky Tung is a prime example of a maturing player. She is making rapid improvement in her first year playing the game as her victory yesterday showed, he added. "The important thing is that we're all having fun," Cutler said.

The J.V. is made up of players six through ten from the varsity, so unlike men's squash, only five players participate in each match.

No more matches are scheduled for the J.V. until reading period, leading up to the big match of the year against Dartmouth in February.