Harvard Professors Study Regional Industrial Traits

By Amy B. Mcintosh

Three Harvard professors are heading a research project at the Harvard/MIT Joint Center for Urban Studies concentrating on regional differences in American industry and the impact of governmental regulation on industry.

The results of the study, much of which focuses on New England, may be used to help solve some of the region's economic problems. But Robert A. Leone '67, assistant professor of Business Administration and one of the chief investigators in the study, said yesterday, "The study would not be a success if it is not also useful to people in other areas."

The research has three basic parts, Leone said. Roger W. Schmenner, assistant professor of Business Administration and another of the three investigators, is comparing regional differences between New England and Southern Ohio to determine why industries locate in certain areas.

Schmenner is analyzing factors such as tax structures, labor patterns and geographic conditions.

Leon and John E. Jackson, associate professor of Government and the third member of the study team, are examining the impact of governmental regulation on industries.

"For instance," Leone said, "federal water pollution controls hit New England pulp and paper industries disproportionately hard since those industries are smaller, older and less modern than in other areas of the country."

The last part of the research attempts to determine if Congressmen take the specific problems and characteristics of their regions into account when voting on legislation. "This is an attempt to understand the Federal decision-making process," Jackson said.

"$150,000 grant"

"The results of this research will not sav what to do about the economy," Jackson said. "It is academic research as opposed to policy research. If it is successful, we might be able to apply it to New England."

The study which will be completed next summer is funded by a $150,000 grant from the U.S. Commerce Department.

The Joint Center actively sought the grant because "we wanted to expand our intellectual interests," after the housing studies the Center completed earlier in its history, Jackson said.