Faculty Members Address Scientists At AAAS Meeting

Harvard professors are participating in almost every presentation at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) this week at the Sheraton-Boston Hotel.

Harvey Brooks, dean of Engineering and Applied Physics, spoke Thursday, yesterday, and will speak again today. His subjects include nuclear power generation and "Problems in the Use of Scientific Indicators."

Jean Mayer, professor of Nutrition, said yesterday at the conference that he expects the Swedish government to introduce a resolution in the United Nations banning the use of starvation as a weapon of war.

He said that starvation is worse than bacteriological warfare because "it hits the non-combatant rather than the adult man."

Other speakers from Harvard include Daniel Bell, professor of Sociology and Roger R.D. Revelle, Saltonstall Professor of Population Policy. President Bok addressed the convention last week.

A minor incident occurred at the convention yesterday when two groups of hecklers reportedly interrupted a speech by Nathan Glazer, professor of Education and Social Structure, on income distribution.

Glazer said last night the incident was "nothing special." He denied having been interrupted, and said that the only incident was a series of pointed questions after his speech concerning the "class struggle" from what he termed "a radical element that has been attending AAAS meetings for years."