Everyone Wins--Racquetwomen Demolish Wesleyan, 7 to Zip

By Marc M. Sadowsky

The Radcliffe squash team got back on track yesterday by demolishing Wesleyan, 7-0 in a match at Hemenway gym. The victory was the racquetwomen's first in their last three starts.

"It's hard to come back and win after two losses," coach Eric Cutler '40 said yesterday. "I'm pleased with how they played, once they put their minds to it."

The racquetwomen's victory was a complete turnaround from their 7-0 loss to Yale last Saturday.

First Sign

The first sign of victory came when Liz Schafer, the 'Cliffe's number six player, gave up only 26 points to her Wesleyan foe.

But Schafer had the easiest match of the day. Three of the other six matches went to the five-game limit, including the number one match, which Susy Handy won 3-2.

Handy dropped two out of the first three games, but came back after the break and downed her opponent 15-7 and 15-11 in the fourth and fifth games.

At number two, Julia Moore had an easier time than Handy, winning 3-1, Moore took the last game 18-17, after hitting a blazing shot down the wall, just out of her foe's reach.

Sting Me

"I hit alot of vacation shots," Moore said last night. "They stung my opponent."

Sally Blair, who missed the match against Yale because of a neck injury, prevailed in her match, 3-1. After losing the first game 15-0, Blair came back and won the last three games.

"I had lead in my pants until the fifth game," Emmi Levin, who played number four, said yesterday after her match. Levin could only muster 16 points in the first two games, before winning the last three, 15-8, 15-10, and 15-5.

At number five, Jane Hadsel played what Cutler described as a "tough match." After losing the first game, Hadsel won the second and third games in overtime and took the fourth, 15-8.

Eve Caligor, playing in the seventh spot, won her match, 3-2.

The racquetwomen travel to Williamstown to face Williams and a very potent Trinity team tomorrow.

This weekend, the four top Radcliffe players travel back to Harvard, the spot of the racquetwomen's first loss, to compete in the Nationals.