Radcliffe Rolls Over Stonehill; Meyers Paces 71-59 Victory

By Richard J. Doherty

The Radcliffe basketball team rebounded from its weekend shellacking, as the Crimson quintet polished off a young and inexperienced Stonehill squad, 71-59, last night at the IAB.

The 'Cliffe guarded a slim lead in the early going but a tough press coupled with some red-hot shooting, (Hildy Meyers 8-for-12 from the floor in the first half) led the cagers to an 18-2 spurt at the close of the half and sent the host club into the locker room with a comfortable 42-21 lead.

The Crimson took full advantage of its height as Meyers and Sue Hewitt worked inside at will against the smaller squad from North Easton. Some from-the-hip shooting, by Lissa Muscatine and Tamar Mannelyan Atins, also added to the blow them off the court game plan.

"Everyone was moving well and our hot shooting inspired the rest of our play," Muscatine said, "Tonight things just went our way."

Getting Sloppy

The Crimson continued to carry the play from the outset of the second half, as Kathy Fulton grabbed the tap and drove in a quick two, to re-establish the first half flow. Radcliffe built the lead up to 26 points before play began to get sloppy and the cagers' tenacious woman to woman defense began to slack off.

Meyers, turning in one of the best games of the year finished the night with 20 points and 13 rebounds. Fellow forward Hewitt popped in a dozen, and backcourt tandem Denise Thal and Muscatine teamed up for 16.

Radcliffe entertains Regis on Thursday night in an 8 p.m. encounter.