Swordsmen Nail Loss on Holy Cross; Saber-Team Sweep Keys 23-4 Victory

By Richard J. Doherty

Harvard's fencers, led by a strong saber performance, out-dueled a young and inexperienced Holy Cross squad last night 23-4 at the IAB.

The Crimson displayed its superior form and bladework from the outset moving to a 6-3 lead after the first round. The saber team inspired Nick Tepe's untouchable performance (Tepe did not lose a point in his three bouts) got the swordsmen off and stabbing, as John Shipman and Larry Tu both handled their Crusader opponents with ease.

Harvard captain Phillipe Bennett did not find the foiling as smooth, however, as he was cut down by the Cross' captain, Steve Holland. John Major and Larry White were both on target with their blades and the Crimson appeared headed for a quick victory against the gang from Worcester.

A poor epee showing in the opening round kept the match close though, as only Matt Simmons could strike the death blow.

The second round saw the start of a string of 17 consecutive winning touches for the Crimson. Mike Bierer substituting for Tu maintained the saber's winning ways. The Holy Cross sabermen were clearly not some of the strongest competition the Crimson has faced all season.

"We were pretty depleted in the saber ranks," Crusader Brian Labrenz said, "what with injuries and the flu, but we thought foil could have gone better."

Holy Cross coach Bill Baxter concurred that the squad's lack of depth was a real problem. "We lost five starters from last year and it's a real zoo trying to build a good team. I was quite happy with our individual performances, however, it's a new crew and they're coming along fast," he said.

They did not come along fast enough however, as the Harvard blade brandishers sliced through Baxter's troops like a sword through warm butter. And when Bob Bargar won his second round epee contest, the match was officially Harvard's.

Foilmen White, Major, Eugene Vastola and Dave McClees each won two bouts. Chipman chipped in victories in all three of his encounters, as the saber swordsmen lost but eight points in their evening's ousting.