Harvard, HUERA Resume Parley On New Contract

By Richard S. Weisman

Contract talks between the University and the Harvard Employees' Representative Association (HUERA), which had been suspended since last December, reopened yesterday, and HUERA's president said the two sides "are coming closer" to a settlement.

Robert V. Travers said the University and HUERA remain deadlocked on the issue of hiring non-union part-time employees, but are narrowing the gap between them on a wage hike proposal.

Travers met yesterday with Edward W. Powers, director of employee relations.

Powers declined to comment yesterday on the progress of the negotiations. He said that the contract talks will not resume until March 16, due to scheduling difficulties for the union.

But Travers said there is a possibility that the union will be able to schedule an earlier meeting with Powers.

HUERA represents nearly 600 University custodians and watchmen.

The union, whose members have been working without a contract since November 30, is demanding substantial wage increase, and curtailment of a University policy of hiring part-time non-union custodial help.

On February 15, 210 union members called for a strike if the talks were not immediately reopened.