Five Ivy Schools Will Raise Tuition by 8 to 10 Per Cent

Six Ivy League colleges have announced tuition increases for next year--all 8 to 10 per cent over their tuitions last year.

A 10 per cent tuition increase at Brown, announced last week by financial vice-president Paul Maeder, constitutes the largest percentage rise among the five schools.

Maeder, who said in a news release last week that Brown will continue to cut expenditures despite the $400 tuition increase, met with the Brown student caucus last night to explain the hike.

Why Pay More?

"Brown students feel they shouldn't pay more while faculty are cut and financial aid is decreased--and we presented this argument to Maeder in the meeting," one member of the caucus said yesterday.

Maeder told the students that Brown officials had considered "how other institutions are handling their financial problems" in planning the increases, the student said.

Talk First

Richard G. Leahy, associate dean of the Faculty for resources and planning, said yesterday that officials from Ivy League schools have "generally discussed the range of possible individual increases" prior to making any official announcements.

Tuition increases announced in the past month by Harvard, Princeton and Cornell will amount to about 9 per cent.