Crimson Cagers Split Weekend Games; Icemen Slaughter Helpless Tigers, 6-1

By Michael K. Savit

The Crimson cagers added another chapter to their new book, "Embarrassed And Harassed In the IAB," by splitting two contests this past weekend. Going from the ridiculous to the expected, the cagers fell to Brown, one of the worst teams in the country, by a 58-56 margin on Friday night, before defeating Yale, another hardwood lightweight, 73-63 on Saturday.

Against the Bruins, Harvard had a case of the three-week layoff blues, but nothing short of rigor mortis can justify losses to a Brown team that entered the contest with a 3-11 record.

After jumping out to a 25-16 advantage, though, the Crimson became quite ill. It was soon 25-24, and with 10 minutes to play, the scoreboard read 43-43. Harvard briefly regained the lead at 50-48, but from the 6:35 mark until 23 seconds remained in the game, the Crimson could score but once.

Brown took a 55-52 lead, and after Jonas Honick had cut the margin to one, Brown's Brian Saunders--22 points, 12 rebounds--made two foul shots, clinching the Bruins victory with nine seconds to go.

On Saturday, it was a little different, as Harvard broke into the Ivy victory column. As had been the case the night before, the Crimson saw an early lead of 31-21 quickly vanish (31-29), but this time, Harvard regained the momentum in the second half and coasted to its sixth win of the season against 11 losses.

Brian Banks and Bill Carey contributed 16 and 13 points, respectively, to the Crimson cause, but the big gun against Yale was Mufi Hannemann, a reserve forward in the past, who had his biggest night ever with a game-high total of 22 points--10-11 shooting from the floor.

The cagers will resume the writing of their book with away contests against Columbia and Cornell this weekend.