Cagers Wallop Columbia, 92-83, to String Ivy Wins

Carey and Cohorts Excel

By Robert Sidorsky

Crimson captain Bill Carey came off the bench to pump in a game high 28 points as a fast-breaking attack careened the cagers to a convincing 92-83 win over Columbia Saturday night at the IAB.

Carey hit a torrid 10 of 16 from the floor and snagged 15 rebounds. Carey's effort, combined with seven field goals by Jeff Hill and some nifty heel and toe work by Doc Hines along the baseline for ten first half points took up the offensive slack created by the suspension of leading scorer Brian Banks.

Before the hoopsters managed to sustain their staccato bursts of brilliance this weekend, coach Tom Sanders had criticized the frontline's lack of point production and rebounding.

On Saturday, however, Carey, Hines, and company had a field day. The Crimson big men crashed the backboards for 48 rebounds while the sluggish Lions could only haul down 31.

The ragtag first half was nip and tuck most of the way but a closing rush propelled the Crimson to a 47-37 lead with 1:16 left before intermission.

Guard Glenn Fine bombed from the corner for an early 8-6 Harvard lead, but an Elmer Love finger roll notched the score. The Crimson held Love, a svelte Colma, Calif., schoolboy star and the Lions' leading scorer, to nine points on the night.

Midway through the half Carey tipped in Fine's flubbed layup and Fine came right back to race for an easy two and a 20-17 Crimson advantage.

Harvard's Joe Leondis suddenly came alive, popping on a straightaway 20 footer and a bruising drive, as the Crimson clung to a 26-25 lead.

Doc Hines then checked into the melee with a sizzling shooting hand, jitterbugging for six baskets in eight attempts. Hines' baseline jumper and two from the foul line kept the Crimson afloat, 37-35.

The Crimson went into high gear with Hill converting off a lob pass from Carey. Next, Carey, who led all players with four steals, hawked the ball and drove the length of the court for a score. He capped his whirlwind first half performance with a pair of foul shots to give the Crimson a seven point cushion.

The half closed at 49-40 after Hines waltzed in for a layup and his 15 footer caught the rim to make it 49-37 with 1:16 left.

After shooting 60 per cent from the floor in the first half, the Crimson refused to fizzle despite relinquishing 29 turnovers. Harvard was also hampered by foul trouble, as five players were slapped with four or more personals.

The Crimson upped the lead to 59-46 when Carey clicked on an alley oop play off of Honick's in bound pass and Honick fed Fine for another two.

After Hines sat down with his fourth personal foul, Hanneman paved the way. "The Mufer" batted through two consecutive tip-ins and Fine shoveled off to a slicing Carey who was hacked on the score. The three-point play made it 75-61.

The Lions went into a swarming full court press in the last five minutes that briefly ruffled the harrassed Crimson. Columbia's Gene Bentz banged home two from long range and caromed in a forced jumper to whittle the gap to 81-74.

The Crimson then went into a four corner stall that kept the Lions at bay and sealed the 92-83 win.

The triumph marked the Crimson's first sweep of an Ivy weekend bill this season, as the squad reversed earlier losses to Cornell and the Lions.