Harvard Skiers Finish Tenth, Recapture Place in Division I

By John D. Blond

The Harvard ski team achieved its season's goal of regaining a spot in Division I by taking tenth place in the top division's championships at Middlebury, Vermont this weekend.

Only the top ten finishers in the championship compete in the division the following year. Norwich edged the Crimson out for the last spot in 1975. Harvard easily gained its revenge at Middlebury as they finished 31 points ahead of the Norwich skiers.

In the giant slalom held Friday morning, the Crimson earned 37 points. Alpine Captain Dick Raines was first for the team with a 26th place. Eric Jewitt was close behind in 27th. Falling midway through the course; Peter Anton finished 53rd.

In the afternoon, Nordic Captain Peter Dillon placed 29th in the cross country event. Andy Demars and Ken Houston finished 38th and 42nd respectively. Stan Dunkley of the University of Vermont, and fresh from the Olympics, beat everyone by over a minute.

In Saturday's slalom, Jewitt took 19th and Anton finished 26th. Gordon Adler was 36th.

Jumpers surprise

Jumping turned out to be the surprise of the meet for the Crimson. The competition took place on a 55-meter jump instead of the customary 40 meter one. The Harvard jumpers were undaunted though as Tom Cavin's soar earned him a 30th. Cavin said that, "it was a gas...a buzz." Freshman David Rand gave an excellent effort for 32nd and Rich Pietrafesa swooped to a 36th.

The Crimson finished with 156 points while the victorious University of Vermont contingent earned 414.

The team successfully passed each of the obstacles to its goal over the last two weeks of the season. Last weekend they won the Division II championship which enabled the squad to compete at Middlebury.

Raines said yesterday that "our goal for the season was to get back into Division I and we accomplished just that. Everyone on the team is happy."