Radcliffe Trustees Honor Dean Kathleen O. Elliott

By Joanne L. Kenen and Chelo A. Rojas

The Radcliffe Board of Trustees yesterday announced they have created a scholarship fund in honor of Katherine O. Elliott, the retiring vice president and associate dean of Radcliffe.

President Horner yesterday said the endownment is "substantial," but she said she does not know its exact size.

More than 100 individuals contributed to the fund, Horner said.

Patricia A. Graham '74, a Radcliffe trustee, said yesterday she believes all the trustees contributed to the fund.

Susan S. Lyman '49, chairman of the Radcliffe Board of Trustees, was unavailable yesterday for the exact figure of the award.

"The announcement was an absolute surprise," to Elliott, Graham said.

The scholarship program administrators, who are responsible for soliciting scholarship funds, and the Radcliffe trustees began planning the award when Elliott announced her resigation last year, Robert H. Gardiner '37, treasurer of Radcliffe, said yesterday.

Elliott came to Radcliffe in 1943 as secretary to the Committee on Admissions, and has served in various other administrative and teaching positions since then. In addition to her other positions, Elliott is senior tutor of South House.

Devoted Service

"Mrs. Elliott has given 33 years of remarkable and devoted service to Radcliffe, it's the least we could do to signify Radcliffe's appreciation of her after she's left," Graham said.

Rulan C. Pian, master of South House, said Elliott's experience makes her a valuable administrator. "We are still searching to find someone, but it will be hard to replace her. She's really wonderful," she said.

The Financial Aid Office will award the scholarship annually to a woman undergraduate on the basis of financial need.