Med School Faculty

News Shorts

By Diane Sherlock

The Medical School faculty yesterday endorsed implementation of a concentration requirement for third- and fourth-year medical students beginning next year.

Under the new concentration program, proposed as part of a new curriculum in 1974, next year's junior class will be required to take four half-courses in an interdiscriplinary field of medicine before graduating.

Spokesmen for the curriculum committee, in charge of the concentration program, said yesterday the new requirement is an attempt to focus more of the elective time of the fourth year and to give students experience in a specialized field without duplicating work they will later do during internship and residency.

Charles W. Nordin, a fourth-year student at the Medical School, said yesterday that the faculty's "attempt to prevent random wanderings through the curriculum" is an "attempt to implement the traditional notion of education."

Nordin said that many students resent what they see as "a fiat statement from the faculty regarding what they can and cannot do with the medical education."