Harvard Police Arrest and Charge Suspected Arsonist

By Charles A. Glazier

Uniformed and plainclothes Harvard police yesterday arrested Jonathan A. Goodman at 2:30 p.m. and charged him with attempted arson and trespassing on Harvard property, Robert G. March, Harvard police coordinator of records and communications, said yesterday.

March said that when Goodman was caught he was allegedly "lighting a small fire near Apthorp House."

"We first heard him about him from some people in Holyoke Center" but he was not located until he had walked over to Apthorp House, March said.

March said he was told by several people in Holyoke Center that Goodman said he was carrying a bomb.

George D. Martin, one of the arresting officers, said yesterday that Goodman looked "really whacked out" on drugs at the time of his arrest.

An officer at the Cambridge police station said yesterday that the suspect appeared to be either drugged or psychotic when he was booked.

"He looked crazy," Edward P. Timmons '77, who saw Goodman in the yard a little after 1 p.m., said yesterday. "He was mixing chemicals and growling at dogs."

Cambridge police said yesterday that Goodman will be held and examined by psychiatrists.