Holcombe Given Month Leave, Faces Relocation Upon Return

By Richard S. Weisman

The University yesterday granted Sherman Holcombe, the recently-reinstated shop steward of the Radcliffe dining halls, a 30-day leave of absence effective March 2.

Edward W. Powers, director of employee relations, said yesterday that Harvard will locate Holcombe "elsewhere in the University" when he returns to work on April 4.

Holcome said last week that he believed the University had granted him a three-month leave and that Harvard would relocate him at Radcliffe when he returned.

But Holcombe apparently balked at the terms of the leave when he learned that the University would not guarantee him a job elsewhere if one were not available at Radcliffe when his leave expired.

Holcombe and Richard Coleman, attorney for Local 26 of the Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Employees Union, met yesterday with Powers to iron out the final provisions of the leave.

"Somehow, Holcombe changed his opinion since last week," Power said.

Holcombe said yesterday he now thinks it would be more difficult for him to return to Radcliffe. He said the provisions of his reinstatement are such that "I could get fired at any minute."

Holcombe said that during his leave he will continue to press for the removal of the latest suspension from his work record. On Thursday, he will address a forum on Harvard's "labor problems" and their bearing on his case.