'Cliffe Netwomen Rout Vassar Squad, 4-1, in Away Match

By Jonathan D. Ratner

The Radcliffe tennis team travelled to Poughkeepsie Saturday, and trounced the Vassar netwomen 4-1, bringing the team's regular season record to 2-0.

Radcliffe's first singles player, Denise Thal, set the pace for the team's victory with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Karen Lerner.

In the second singles match, Radcliffe team captain Lissa Muscatine netted a 6-4, 6-2 win over Vassar racquetwoman Dana Field.

In a tenacious display of depth and concentration, netwoman Rita Funaro, usually quick to dispose of her opponent, took three sets and an hour and a half to beat Liz Manning, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.

The squad's only loss of the day came in a hard-fought doubles match waged by J.V. netwomen Janet Clark and Perry Hefflefinger. The duo was defeated, 1-6, 6-3, 3-6.

Consistency and Fierceness

Radcliffe tennis coach Corey Wynn said yesterday that he believes the team displayed its greatest consistency of play and fierceness on attack during Saturday's matches.

Wynn said he is optimistic about the rest of the season, although he realizes that many of the 'Cliffe's upcoming opponents will be stronger than Vassar, or the MIT squad that the team aced last week, 5-0.

The squad will next face Smith in a match tomorrow afternoon at home.