Bok Offers Lowell Lec to Cambridge

Rindge Tech May Use Classrooms

By M.m Jabcos

President Bok yesterday offered the use of Lowell Lecture Hall to the city of Cambridge to provide classrooms for the freshman class of Rindge Technical School while Rindge tech is under renovation. The city estimates that the time nodded for construction and renovation will be two years.

Bok's offer came in response to a plea by Cambridge Mayor Alfred E. Vellucci when the city's fist choice for the temporary classrooms, the Sacred Heart School in East Cambridge, came under opposition from members of the community who believe that the relocation would add to the congestion in that area.

Public Meeting

Mayor Vellucci called for a public meeting, to be held April 27 at the Kennedy School, in which affected citizens can voice their objections to the Sacred Heart location. He also requested a traffic survey and impact statement be prepared for the area.

Asked about the costs to Cambridge of using the Harvard facility, Richard McKinnon, administrative assistant to the mayor, said that Bok "isn't interested in earning revenue, and, at the same time, doesn't want to run a deficit."

Although a final decision about the relocation will not b made final until after the public meeting, Harvard's offer has resulted in an increase in the options open to the city, should the Sacred Heart plant fail to work out, a release from the mayor's office said.

Bok chose Lowell Lecture Hall on the basis of a survey of University's building he made, the release says. The building, which is on the corner of Kirkland and Oxford Streets, includes eight classrooms and a large lecture hall.