HUERA Settlement Provides 7% Raise For Union Workers

By Andrew Multer

The president of the Harvard University Employees' Representative Association (HUERA) yesterday released provisions of the proposed contract settlement that may end a five-month deadlock between HUERA and the University.

Robert V. Travers said the tentative terms include a 6-to-7 per cent increase in pay for athletic and bakery workers, and a 17 cents-per-hour increase the first year and a 13 cents-per-hour raise the second year for caretakers, guards and porters.

The University also agreed to cancel plans to lay off up to 150 HUERA members in favor of part-time, non-union workers. "We feel that we've been guaranteed that there will be no layoffs," Travers said.

Also included in the new contract are three weeks' paid vacation after five years and four weeks after 12 years, as opposed to seven and 15 years respectively in the old contract, which expired November 30, Travers said.

Travers released the proposed terms after a meeting yesterday with Edward W. Powers, University director of employee relations, and Steven R. Domesick, HUERA's attorney, during which the new contract was written.