Netmen Serve Up 9-0 Victory; Bruins No Match for Crimson

Harvard's varsity tennis team, coming off what coach Jack Barnaby called "an incredibly exciting and dramatic win" over Yale on Friday, crushed an inexperienced squad from Brown 9-0 Saturday afternoon.

The Crimson was in control throughout, and the only mildly tense situation came when captain Gary Reiner fell behind, 0-3, in the second set of his number one singles match against Brown's Bennett Sweren after losing the first set, 4-6.

Reiner rallied to win, 6-3, 6-3, and Harvard was off and running. Todd Lundy won at number two, 6-4, 6-2, Dan Waldman scored a 6-1, 6-0 romp over Raoul Sanchez-Elia at number three, and Kevin Shaw took his match at number four, 6-2, 6-2 over Bob Boiarsky.

Rounding out the singles matches, Jim Levy won easily over Bruin Larry Rose (6-2, 6-1), and Andy Chaikovsky had to go to three sets before finishing off John Harkavy by a 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 count. The doubles matches went equally as well, as Harvard swept to three solid victories.

"It was so hot we almost died," Barnaby said, noting that the Crimson effort was especially noteworthy considering the gruelling matchup with Yale 24 hours earlier.

Harvard's second road victory in three league attempts was an important one, as the Crimson can now come home for the key matches which will determine the final standings. Yale, Columbia, Penn and Harvard have taken turns beating each other, and things are still up in the air.

The doubles victories were keyed by the number one combination of Waldman and junior Cliff Adler, which won by consecutive 6-3 scores. The teams of Shaw-Lundy and Levy-Chaikovsky also won easily.