Berrigan, Chomsky Discuss Activism During Open Panel

By Mary G. Gotschall

Jesuit Father Daniel J. Berrigan and Noam Chomsky, well-known political activists of the '60s, spoke in Boston Saturday in an open discussion on "Politics As A Vocation: Why We Do What We Do."

The panel discussion, held in Boston's Church of the Covenant before an audience of about 60, was sponsored by the Boston-Cambridge Ministries in Higher Education.

Chomsky, a professor of Linguistics at MIT and one of those included on President Nixon's list of "undesirables," discussed his role as an anti-war activist of the '60s.

"I never enjoyed being beaten by cops or worrying about going to jail," he said. "In fact, I didn't like large demonstrations."

Chomsky said he had often used his academic status to "make noise." He added, "Since I was known professionally, I thought that was worth exploiting for a better purpose."

Of all the speakers on the panel, Chomsky came out the strongest in favor of a socialist movement in this country.

"Fascism will be the ugly conclusion to our society's evolution unless a counterforce--a mass socialist movement--destroys oppression," Chomsky said, in conclusion.

Berrigan, in contrast, devoted the bulk of his talk to analyzing American mores, without much mention of political theory.

Peanut Butter and Jelly?

"America's favorite pastime," the poet and priest said, "is to create heroes and then eat them for sandwiches. Fortunately, they found me inedible."

The Catholic priest closed with a warning regarding construction of nuclear arms. "Builders of nuclear weapons-- they're really after our souls," Berrigan mused.