Radcliffe Union of Students Creates an Abortion Fund

By Gay Seidman

The Radcliffe Union of Students has created a small fund for emergency abortions for undergraduates, and plans to begin a campaign to change the student health insurance policy to cover first trimester abortions, a spokesman for the RUS said yesterday.

Jane R. Clark '77, chairman of the union's Committee on Abortion, said yesterday RUS will give "somewhat under $1000" to the University Health Services this week for Radcliffe undergraduates who need funds for abortions.

Abortions during the first three months of pregnancy usually cost about $150.

Clark said the fund comes out of the $5 dues each Radcliffe student pays to the union each semester. "We really hope people will pay us back--at no interest, or anything--because there really isn't that much in the fund, she said.

Ann G. Bisbee '62, assistant to the director of UHS who does abortion counselling there, said yesterday she has discussed the RUS decision, but declined comment. Clark said she hopes Bisbee will administer the fund.

Coverage

Dr. Warren E.C. Wacker, UHS director, said yesterday that only therapeutic abortions are covered under the University's Blue Cross-Blue Shield insurance policies. The UHS refers students who need abortions to Boston clinics, he said.

Although he said he is not "personally opposed" to changing that insurance policy to include first trimester abortions for non-medical reasons, Wacker said such a proposal would be "a very sensitive issue."

He said he does not know how much more such an insurance policy would cost individual students.

Both Wacker and Bisbee said, they do not know how many Radcliffe women get abortions each year.