Waterpoloists Succumb, 11-3

You can cross the Radcliffe water polo team off the Bing Crosby Fan Club list, as, for the second weekend in a row, the UMass Minutemaids squirted juice in the faces of the 'Cliffe squad, this time by an 11-3 count.

The 'Cliffe could have used Anita Bryant and then some against a UMass squad which sank Radcliffe's record to 1-3. "They were faster swimmers," captain Jane Hendricks said afterward. "We were better organized than the last time we played them, but our defense was too sporadic."

Especially, she might have added, in the first half, when the Minutemaids peeled away for seven goals, four of them in the opening period.

After UMass made the first indent on the scoreboard, Radcliffe pulled momentarily even on a Jane McNamara penalty shot. Umass quickly retaliated for a 4-1 lead, but McNamara's second goal late in the first period made the score close--for awhile--and gave the Radcliffe team a play to remember.

"It was our best play of the night," Hendricks said of the goal which was set up by a pass from goalie Winnie Lee to Hendricks, who in turn fired the ball to McNamara. The latter's eight-yarder found the mark.

Unfortunately, before the 'Cliffe could again find the mark, UMass was in double figures.