Lampoon Prizes In Limbo; Students Waiting for Money

By Charles A. Glazier

Three undergraduate organizations are still waiting for their share of the $10,000 the Lampoon awarded them in February.

A change in the award definition has left it up to the University to allocate the money to the Advocate, the Signet Society and Phillips Brooks House. The groups now await President Bok's decision on the allocation of the money.

Confusion also exists concerning the award given to John Kenneth Galbraith, Warburg Professor of Economics Emeritus.

The New York Times reported Sunday that Galbraith gave his $10,000 Lampoon award to the Fogg Art Museum. But museum officials yesterday denied the report.

The Lampoon gave the University a $50,000 check for scholarships, presented Galbraith with $10,000 in cash and a Cadillac Eldorado, and announced the $10,000 award to the undergraduate organizations February 7.

Douglas A. McIntyre '77, president of the Advocate, said yesterday "everyone told me we'd get $3000, the Signet Society would get $3000 and Phillips Brooks House would get $4000." But none of these organizations have seen their money yet.

Richard B. Johnson '36, a Lampoon trustee, attributed the delay in part to a last minute change in the award's definition.

Johnson said the trustees decided on the day of the award banquet that the University already had enough money in its scholarship fund and that undergraduate organizations needed more support.

The trustees wrote a letter to Bok that left the allocation of the total $60,000 gift to his discretion, Johnson said.

The University has the original $50,000 presented at the banquet and will receive the additional $10,000 from the Lampoon within two or three weeks, Johnson said.

Bok said yesterday that he has made no decision concerning the allocation of the funds. He declined to comment further.

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, said yesterday he believes the University has a "moral obligation to honor the $10,000 to the literary organizations."

Epps said that it is possible under the conditions of the trustees' letter that the undergraduate organizations will get more money than originally awarded.

In the meantime, the students are looking for their money. McIntyre said that the Advocate is in no financial danger, but added, "It would be nice to get the money together."

John W. Gillespie '75-4, president of the Signet Society, said yesterday he is just waiting to get the money from the University, and he thinks he will get the money by the end of the term.

Officials at the Fogg refused to comment about the alleged gift from Galbraith. "We've had no word about the gift," Linda L. Ayres, assistant to the director, said yesterday.

Seymour Slive, director of the Fogg, was unavailable for comment yesterday. Galbraith is in London filming a television program