Stickmen Rally to Pound Bowdoin, 11-7

Mackenzie Leads Crimson Attack With 5 Points

By David Clarke

The varsity lacrosse team went scoreless in the first quarter yesterday, but then caught fire and charged past Bowdoin for an 11-7 victory, the team's fourth win of the young season. Last year the laxmen didn't notch their fourth win until the final game of the season, when Billy Tennis dove across the crease and shoveled in a one-handed shot for an overtime triumph over Dartmouth.

For a while yesterday, it appeared Harvard would have to wait for another day to match last year's win total. At the end of the first quarter, the Crimson had missed a number of juicy scoring opportunities and trailed, 2-0.

After more than half of the second quarter, the Harvard stickmen were still behind, 3-1, and must have been wondering when their shots would start to go in. They didn't have to wait long.

In less than 60 seconds, Andy Gellis scored unassisted to cut the Polar Bear lead to one, Bill MacKenzie scored off a feed from Stevie Martin to knot the score, and Kevin McCall connected on an assist from freshman Bill Forbush to give Harvard a 4-3 edge.

In the final minutes of the half, Robinson Moore tied the game for Bowdoin and early in the final half scored again to give the visitors the lead.

But Harvard fired off another burst to grab the lead a second time. In less than 10 seconds MacKenzie scored twice. First he scooped up a ground ball at the right sideline and streaked unmolested to the crease for an easy score. He then converted on a beautiful pass from Sandy White off the ensuing face-off to give Harvard a 6-5 lead.

With five seconds left in the quarter Harvard scored with its close passing game, Martin to Tennis, to stretch the lead to two.

The Crimson put the game away in the final stanza, Andy Krouner and freshmen Mike Faught and Dailey Kennedy scoring to power the stickmen to a comfortable 10-5 bulge. MacKenzie assisted on the first two scores to notch five points for the day. He was the team's leading point-getter last season with 42.

In the closing minutes of the game freshman Ken First replaced goalie Jin Michelson, who finished with nine saves. Bowdoin greeted the newcomer with two quick goals but moved no closer. Kennedy's second tally of the day ended the scoring with Harvard on top, 11-7.

The Crimson's prowess on face-offs continued to be phenomenal, as the center middies combined to win 16 of 21. Jim Michelson has been impressive so far in goal. His save percentage stands at .682, compared with the .586 racked up by last year's starter, Leroy Thompson.

Con Ed

The offense has been powered by the high-scoring attack. Bill Tennis still leads the team with 12 goals and 7 assists for 19 points. He is followed by fellow attackmen Steve Martin (4-12-16) and Bill MacKenzie (9-5-14).

Fifteenth-ranked Harvard opens its Ivy League schedule on Friday, meeting Penn on the astroturf at Franklin Field. The Quakers are currently ranked ninth in the country. "We missed a lot of opportunities today," coach Scalise said after the Bowdoin game. "To beat Penn we're going to have to score in those situations."