Investigate Racism Charges

GAIL E. BOWMAN, a black third-year Law School student, deserves both praise and support for her public protest against a law firm recruiter she alleges made "racially offensive" remarks to her during a job interview at the Law School last fall. According to notes made by Bowman directly after the interview, the recruiter, John H. Morrison of the prestigious Chicago firm of Kirkland and Ellis, told her that "the last black to leave [the firm] went to Clorox... isn't that funny, a black going to work for a bleach company?," and that the firm "just can't keep black lawyers because corporations hire them... they have to keep the quotas, too." These comments, if accurate, are both insensitive and irresponsible. But Morrison refuses to discuss any explanation of his actions publicly, although he has submitted a written explanation to Law School officials.

In filing a formal complaint against Morrison, furthermore, Bowman may jeopardize her Law School recommendations; and allowing her name to be made public cannot enhance her reputation with other recruiters. Not only is Kirkland and Ellis one of the most influential law firms in the Midwest, but Morrison, as a long-time recruiter, has close ties with the Law School Placement Office and has also been an important Law School fund-raiser over the past ten years. Thus, Bowman's complaint shows personal courage, and is particularly significant because other students, anxious about their standing in the job market, may all too frequently overlook these types of discriminatory comments in similar job interview situations.

It is now vital that Albert M. Sacks, dean of the Law School, answer Bowman's call for official reaction to Morrison's remarks. At Bowman's request, the Law School Placement Committee submitted a recommendation for further investigation of the case to Sacks in February. Sacks has yet to respond officially to that recommendation. The time has come for Sacks to stop ignoring the issue, and to honor Bowman's request with a thorough investigation of the matter, and, if Morrison cannot disprove his remarks, to reprimand him publicly. Sacks must make it clear to law firm recruiters that, no matter how influential they may be, they have no right as guests at the Law School to insult the dignity of Law School students. Bowman's complaint merits at least this much official attention.