Students Circulate a Petition, Seek to Reinstate Nat Sci 36

By Gay Seidman

A group of students are circulating a petition calling for the reinstatement of Nat Sci 36, "Biological Determinism," as a fully accredited General Education course.

The Committee on General Education voted last month to offer Nat Sci 36 next year, but decided the course may not be used to fulfill basic Gen Ed requirements.

The committee found unacceptable the grading policies of the instructors, Stephen J. Gould, professor of Geology, and Richard C. Lewontin '50, Agassiz Professor of Zoology, who promise students who write ten-page papers at least a B.

The petition states that the students who sign it "deplore the trend in education at Harvard toward denigrating the quality of education in favor of keeping up 'standards' in a purely formal, rigid sense, which leads to increased competition and overemphasis on grades."

"This has happened because students are completely excluded from having any say in educational policy," the petition continues.

Gould said last night he is aware of the petition's existence, but that he and Lewontin have had nothing to do with the student group's decision to circulate it.

"It's great from my point of view, but I think the impetus should come from them," he said.

Elli Mylonas '78, one of the students circulating the petition, said yesterday the group plans to hold a rally Wednesday at 2 p.m. on the steps of Memorial Church.

David Reisman '31, Ford II Professor of Social Science and member of the Gen Ed committee, said yesterday the committee is aware of grade pressure on students, but added he believes "the answer to that is what does exist--the pass-fail option."

Francis M. Pipkin, associate dean of the Faculty for the Colleges and chairman of the committee, was unavailable for comment yesterday.