'Cliffe J.V. Tennis Swept Away By Wheaton, 'Hurricane' Winds

By Joseph Dalton

Wheaton's J.V. team handed the Radcliffe J.V. a 4-2 defeat in its next-to-last match of the season yesterday afternoon. The 'Cliffe swingers were blown off the court in four singles matches before rallying to win the doubles in a strong wind storm at Wheaton.

J.V. coach Corey Winn was also on a court yesterday, but not a tennis court. The veteran tutor is involved in litigation over the flooding of his basement and is suing for damages.

In his absence, Winn's proteges did not fare so well. "We were dubious, just very dubious," said Terry Clarke. Playing at number one, Clarke succumbed to her opponent 10-5. The J.V. played ten-game pro sets because the racketwielders each had to play not only singles, but also doubles.

Only four women could make the trip to Wheaton yesterday, a turn-out Clarke attributed to "the reading period blues."

In a match assistant coach Eric Cutler called the "longest and hardest fought," number two Jane Clark also lost, 10-5. Number three Marsha Davenport lost, 10-1, and number four freshman Jody Cukier went down, also 10-1.

But the doubles teams turned the tables on the Wheaton women. The team of Terry Clarke-Davenport won, 10-7, and Jane Clark-Cukier won 10-8.

Blown Out

Terry Clarke said the wind made it impossible for her to play her normal game. "It was like playing in a hurricane out there," she said.

Davenport agreed. "They just didn't have adequate shielding for an outdoor match on a day like this," she said. Davenport added that she thought the team's lack of outside practice hurt considerably.

"The Wheaton people were not all that outstanding, but we're all more into reading period than playing tennis, and haven't been able to practice as much as we would like to," Davenport said explaining the defeat.

The 'Cliffe J.V. goes back into action for the last time this year Saturday at Exeter.