Radcliffe Laxers Break Streak And Worcester State, 12-1

By Marc M. Sadowsky

People won't be accosting each other on street, in the houses, or in the clubs today to ask "What's wrong with the Radcliffe lacrosse team?"

Yesterday, in the wilds of Worcester, the Radcliffe lacrosse team ended their tengame losing streak by devastating Worcester State, 12-1.

"The attack was moving, and we passed the ball the free players," coach Debi Field said yesterday, explaining how the lax-women stopped the longest losing streak in their history.

The deluge began three minutes into the game when Anne Johnson scored the first goal. Johnson tallied again in the period, and Anna Jones added another goal.

But the first period belonged to Carrie Minot, who cashed in four times on her way to a two-hat-trick game. Minot's six goals accounted for half of the 'Cliffe's total goal production.

At the end of the first half, the lax-women were sitting on a commanding 7-0 lead. But for Worcester State, the agony was not over yet.

In the second period, Minot found the net twice more, and Laura Stone slammed the ball into the net twice. Anne Johnson blasted another one home to complete Radcliffe's scoring.

Bobbin' and Weavin'

But Worcester State refused to concede. With only a few seconds left, one ambitious Statie weaved her way through the Radcliffe defense and unleashed a shot which found its way into the goal mouth. The shutout was gone.

"Carrie was hot, and Anne Johnson directed a lot of movement," Field said. The laxwomen's shooting percentage was an impressive 60 per cent, while Worcester State was only able to muster five shots on goal.

The defense was also strong. "They came up with interceptions and ground balls. The feeling of momentum carried," Field said. "It was a good finish."