Stage

By Gay Seidman

Unlike rock, theater seems to be flourishing in Boston this summer. Take your pick.

HARVARD

The Loeb Experimental Theater starts its summer next week with "An Evening of One-Act Plays," including works by Pirandello, Chekov and Feydeau. Free, if you pick your tickets up between 12 and 6 p.m. at the Loeb box office.

I do, I do by Tom Jones and Oscar Schmidt, is a musical about 50 years of marriage. By the end of the play, you'll feel like you've been sitting there for 50 years. At the Loeb, Monday through Saturday. Curtain at 8 p.m. except on Saturday, when it's at 5 and 9 p.m. Tickets $5 to $8.50, dropping to $4 ten

BOSTON

The Collection, by Harold Pinter, is a typical Pinter play, a long one act show about the games modern people play. At the Charles St. Meetinghouse, 70 Charles St. in Boston. July 1, 2, 5 and 7, curtain at 8 p.m. Tickets $2.50.

The Importance of Being Earnest, the great Wilde comedy, is also at the Charles St. Meetinghouse on July 8 and 9. Curtain at 8 p.m., tickets $2.50.

Me and Bessie, a tribute to the great blues singer Bessie Smith, continues at the Charles Playhouse, 76 Warrenton St. in Boston. Curtain at 8 p.m. except on Saturday (7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.) and Sunday (2 p.m. and 5 p.m.). Tickets $6.50 to $9.50.

Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris, at the Charles Cabaret under the Warrenton St. playhouse, is a collection of Brel songs. He's not in it, but he wrote it--which may be even better. Curtain at 3 and 9:30 p.m. Tickets $5-$7.

Emma is still another tribute, but this time with political content: it's based on the life of American anarchist Emma Goldman. Written by another anarchist type, B.U. professor and wildman Howard Zinn. Performed by the Next Move, an anarchistic theater group (and a very good one). At the Next Move Theater, 955 Boylston St. in Boston. Curtain at 8 p.m., tickets $5.50 to $7.

You Never Can Tell why comedies are proliferating this week, unless maybe it's because they're good. At the Arena Theater at Tufts. Curtain at 8:15 p.m. Tickets $3 to $4.

A Thurber Carnival will be shown by the Publick Theater at Herter Park-bring a blanket or something. No curtain, but the show starts at 8:30 p.m.

The Lover is at the BAG Theater, 367 Boylston St. in Boston. More Pinter-it seems fitting to end these listings as we began. Games people play, etc., curtain at 12:10 and 1:10 p.m., tickets $2.50.