Jumper Embree to Challenge Dwight Stones In NCAA Classic

By Jon Ledeeky

Finals are almost over, but three Harvard thinclads have been putting in some extra hours in physics. High jumpers Mel Embree and John McCulloh, and hammer-thrower Ed Ajootian will all try to defy gravity at this weekend's NCAA T rack & Field Championships at Penn.

Tri-captain Embree will be the main challenger to pre-meet favorite Dwight Stones. The Long Beach State senior has been tabbed as America's gold-medal hope in this summer's Olympic games at Montreal. But Embree, who has qualified for the upcoming Olympic trials, hopes to pull off an upset similar to his victory over Stones in the 1975 Milrose Games.

Battle with Stones

Embree is noted for his ability to psyche out his opponents, a major plus in his battle with Stones, who has been susceptible to such tactics in the past. An intense competitor, Embree's smooth-style has enabled him to re-write the Harvard record books during a sparkling intercollegiate campaign.

While another chapter is being added to the Stones-Embry rivalry, senior McCulloh hopes he can fulfill a "dark-horse role." McCulloh, who has jumped in the shadows of Embree this season, also qualified for an Olympic trial slot.

Burly Ed Ajootian travels to the City of Brotherly Love with a third place finish in the NCAA winter championships under his belt. Sophomore Ajootian possesses "a lot of raw talent," according to Harvard track mentor Bill BcCurdy. "He still has some flaws in his swing," McCurdy admits, "but I'm hopeful he can rip off one big throw to get into the thick of the hunt."

Ajootian has continued the Harvard tradition of outstanding hammer throwers. In 1962, Edward Bailey won the coveted NCAA hammer-throw crown, 14 years after Samuel Felton nailed down the 1948 national crown.