Expository Writing to Feature Writing Laboratory Next Year

By Stephanie R. Martin

The creation of a writing center is among major proposals under consideration for the expansion this fall of the Harvard Expository Writing Department.

This type of center, patterned after a successful writing workshop venture at the University of Wisconsin, would offer its services not only to freshmen, but also to upperclassmen and faculty members who wish to improve their writing skills.

The only noticeable curriculum change for the upcoming year is the absence of Expos 14, "Editorials, Features and News"--Expos 14 was the only journalism course offered.

Donald Byker, assistant director of Expository Writing, said last week that the course is being dropped because of the absence of a full-time teacher, lack of office space, and the opinion that the course did not conform to the Expos class "mold."

Dr. Martin L. Robbins, former teaching assistant in Expository Writing and instructor of Expos 14, was not available for comment on the subject.

Letter-Writing

In a recent letter to President Bok, Byker suggested two additions to the Expos program besides the establishment of a writing center.

He advocated the institution of an advanced Expos course for those who have shown promise and want more writing practice after fulfilling the initial Expos requirement of a one-semester course.

Byker said he hopes to gain faculty cooperation in the assessment of student writing abilities in classes outside of Expos.

This year fewer teachers will be employed by the Expos Department, and more will be employed on a full-time basis. A smaller faculty number, Byker said, produced a "lift in quality and commitment." Full-time instructors, he said, "willingly shoulder primary responsibility" for their classes.

Results of two questionnaires given earlier this year show there has been an overall improvement in student attitude toward the Expos courses, Byker said.

Expos 17, "Theory and Practice of Writing," is the only Expos class offered during the summer session. Enrollment in the class has increased sharply this year. This rise is partially because of a much greater high school participation in the course.