1629 Will Register Today, Kicking Off Freshman Week

By John Donley and Richard S. Weisman

One thousand, six hundred and twenty-nine freshmen converge on Memorial Hall this morning to officially begin their careers as Harvard undergraduates.

Registration for the Class of 1980--which boasts the lowest male-female ratio in Harvard-Radcliffe history--begins this morning at 9 a.m. and will stretch on past 4 p.m.

If past years are any indication, freshmen can expect to be harangued, jostled, and sold everything from socialist newspapers to memberships in the Harvard Republican Club.

It will be a full day for the fresh-people, fresh from a weekend which included, for many, farewells to parents, meeting roommates, the Harvard-Columbia football game, and that favorite of freshman pursuits--dorm parties.

Business at 8

Highlights of the day include band auditions, athletic introductory meetings and, at 8 p.m., the first seminar covering the prescribed summer reading. Joseph S. Nye Jr., professor of Government, will lecture in Sanders Theater on Robert Heilbroner's "An Inquiry into the Human Prospect."

But judging by many freshmen's comments this weekend, that is one inquiry that many of them have neglected to make this summer.

On Tuesday, the freshmen's academic regimen commences, with a battery of aptitude tests followed at 7 p.m. by a Yard Concert featuring the Harvard Glee Club.

Freshmen began arriving in the Yard and the Quad even before dorms officially opened at 9 a.m. last Friday. By noon, Harvard Yard had become filled with U-Hauls, station wagons, and a smattering of Cadillacs. Students and their parents clustered in small groups on the front steps of their dorms, and the customary touch football and frisbee games were in full swing.

The day was marred only by threatening skies, which periodically drenched the movers-in.

All Wet

Ducking into a Hollis Hall doorway, a group of freshmen talked about their first impressions of the University and their classmates.

"I saw some of those preppies last