Will the wobbly duck strike again?

With 11 returning starters, all signs are favorable

By Michael K. Savit

Joe Restic and his multi-flex offense are not supposed to be here this year.

After last fall's Crimson heroics that culminated in a wobbly duck of a Mike Lynch field goal for Harvard's first undisputed Ivy title, rumors of Restic's departure were rivaled only by tales that Henry Kissinger was returning to international relations.

Restic was believed to be taking his multiflex offense to one of a number of greener pastures, including Colgate and the Philadelphia Eagles.

But when all was said and done, the multiflex got no further than Milford, Ma., which happens to be where Restic and his six assistant coaches all reside.

So for the sixth year, Restic will be pacing the Crimson sidelines, where he has compiled a 30-14-1 overall record so far, including two Ivy championships (one by his lonesome, one shared with Yale). He has twice been named New England Coach of the Year, and once Eastern Coach of the Year.

In those seasons, though, Restic's teams were not favored to finish on top. This time around, however, Harvard is not only favored, but will have the additional pressure of attempting to defend the title it won a year ago.

"Sure, everybody will be after us game for game," Restic said before last Saturday's opener, "so we can't afford to have a bad afternoon."

And as for those rumors, "the important thing is getting the job done," Restic said. "I don't look beyond that. I'm not interested in what happened last year. My whole philosophy is: do it where you find yourself. I can't worry about what's going on anywhere else. This is my sixth year at Harvard, and I've been happy here. If not, I'm gone."

If Restic's presence this fall was far from a certainty, though, that of many of last season's starters, 11 to be precise, wasn't.

The most prominent is quarterback Jim Kubacki, whose 1975 rise from second-string junior varsity signal-caller to varsity and nationally acclaimed (4th in the nation in total offense) honcho is by now well known to anyone who watches the Prudential College Scoreboard.

Last year Kubacki was All-Everything, and he established a new Harvard total offense record in the process. That a quarterback who knows the ins and down-and-outs of Restic's complicated offensive system is returning for another year gives the Crimson an immediate advantage.

Complementing Kubacki, should the need arise, is junior Tim Davenport, who Restic said "had an excellent preseason. He throws as well as anybody." And just ask Princeton if you don't believe Restic.

When Kubacki isn't running the ball himself, either Tommy Winn or Mark Taylor probably will be. Winn was last year's leading scorer and rusher, a back who Restic says "can do it all." If he can do it all all season, he could emerge as the best halfback in the league.

Taylor also returns from a starting position in 1975, when he rushed for 327 yards. Tom Lincoln, who lettered a year ago, is now starting fullback. In the event that Restic casts his eye towards the bench, sophomore Ralph Polillio, the leading rusher on last fall's freshman team, is one of several more than capable substitutes who provide Harvard with quality backfield depth.

When Kubacki sends the pigskin airborne, it will more than likely be caught by either split end Jim Curry or tight end Bob McDermott. Curry is the best athelete on the team; he led the team in receiving last year, he can kick off, punt, and occasionally boot a field goal or two.

The highlight of McDermott's 1975 season was the fourth-down pass that he caught against Yale in the waning seconds that helped to set up Lynch's winning field goal. McDermott also caught 29 other passes, seven of them for touchdowns to lead the league.

"Offensively, we're more than adequate in the skilled positions," Restic said last week, "but we won't be able to capitalize unless we find some new people across the front to block it up. Jim Kubacki won't get the job done by himself," and herein lies the preseason achilles tendon of the 1976 Crimson gridders.

Last year when Kubacki led the offense to its numerous accomplishments, the five offensive linemen who were making it possible were using up their final year of eligibility in the process. But now they're gone, one of them, Captain Dan Jiggetts, to the Chicago Bears.

And unfortunately for the Crimson, quality offensive linemen do not grow on trees, especially those who are familiarized with the intricate blocking assignments of a Restic offense.

"We go as the line goes," the coach says. "We have to develop that area. I know that we have the capacity to throw, but if the line doesn't hold up . . ." then all those preseason polls that find Harvard on top will be as valuable as a bucket with holes.

The tackle positions will be the responsibility of either Nick Radakovich, the only letterman, or sophomore Joe Kross on the right side, with junior varsity lettermen Bruce McKinnon and Bob Peabody battling it out on the other side.

Lettermen Mike Benninger and Bob Gantley return at guard, but sophomore Mike Clark has mounted a strong challenge to Gantley on the left side. Mike Rubenstein and Reid Cocalis are also possibilities, while Larry Spagnola, with help from Tom Shea, will take care of the center's duties.

On the other side of the scrimmage line, Harvard is anything but inexperienced. "I expect to buy time defensively," Restic said, because we're experienced on that side of the ball."

The experience starts with the defensive ends, where Bob Baggott and Russ Savage, who were sophomores and inexperienced a year ago, are now juniors with an Ivy title under their belts. Pat Brady, "good enough to play somewhere," Restic says, should also see some action.

Junior Steve Kaseta returns at one of the defensive tackles, and he'll be paired alongside Charlie Kaye, who missed last year after a bout with mononucleosis. Two years ago, as a sophomore, Kaye was a starter; his return means that the starting defensive front four all have two years of eligibility remaining, which bodes well for now, extremely well for next season. Bob Bailey and Gary Taubes are in reserve.

The middle guard will be Lou Bernieri, who last year led the defense in tackles, tackle assists, and quarterback sacks. Bernieri's backup will be Frank Russo, who was projected as last year's starter until he decided to sit the year out.

One of the two linebacking spots is set with Tom Joyce, whom Restic terms as "outstanding." Joyce, who is also captain of next spring's baseball team, was particularly outstanding in last fall's demolition of Brown, when he was selected the ABC-TV Defensive Player of the Game. Playing alongside Joyce will be either Joe Jason, Joe Goodreault, if he recovers from a preseason injury, or sophomore Craig Beling.

Last year's All-Ivy adjuster, George Newhouse, is currently adjusting to life as a Rhodes Scholar, and his place will be taken by Lou Rice, who a year ago was the star of the specialty teams. John Tuke should see some action at this position.

The rest of the defensive secondary, with one exception, is also new. The exception is Captain Bill Emper, who is the defense's answer to Kubacki. All-Ivy a year ago, Emper is getting national recognition this time around, probably because his leaping profile was captured by an alert photographer in the Dartmouth game and wired across the country. He deserves it; he provides glue-like coverage which he applied to Bob Farnham and Gary Fencik in the Brown and Yale games respectively.

"Bill's a real strength," Restic said, "and he had a great pre-season."

Keeping Emper company will be either Walt Royal or Andy Puopolo, both returning lettermen, at the other halfback slot, while Paul Halas, a quarterback last year, a defensive secondary man now, and Bill Wendel will roam free at safety, although not at the same time.

Curry did little kicking during the preseason, but he'll probably handle those chores, with Mike Lynch possibly in charge of extra points and game-winning field goals against Yale. Sophomore Gary Bosnic can also kick off, while Scott Coolidge can punt.

"Overall I see great balance in the league," Restic said last week. "Yale could have the club that ends up on top. I hope we're vying for it."

In this attempt, Harvard has a more than favorable schedule. The first four games are in Cambridge, and not until the fifth week, when the Crimson plays at Dartmouth, does the Ivy schedule get difficult. "We're trying to bide our time until then," Restic said, "and hope that the offensive line comes around." If it does, a third successive Ivy title should be forthcoming.