Five Ivy Squads Score Weekend Wins

Ivy League Roundup

By Tom Aronson

While Harvard was thumping UMass at the Stadium this weekend, four of the other seven Ivy League teams were racking up victories over non-league opponents.

A 24-13 Dartmouth win over a tough New Hampshire squad topped the list of noteworthy games, marking the Big Green as a potential challenger for the Ivy title, if its current trend of improved play continues.

Spotting UNH a 3-0 halftime lead, Dartmouth unloaded a 21-point barrage in the third quarter and coasted home from there, picking up victory number two in as many outings this fall.

Unknown Spectacular

Junior fullback Curt Oberg, a relative unknown in these parts, did most of the damage by rushing for a spectacular 155 yards in 24 carries. Oberg's one-yard at 6:25 of the third period put the home team in front to stay, and his 21-yard touchdown run late in the quarter catapulted the Big Green to an insurmountable 21-3 edge.

Yale evened its record at 1-1 with a solid 21-0 win over winless UConn paced by substitute quarterback Bob Rizzo and the two touchdown drives he engineered in the second half. Rizzo rallied the favored Elis from a 10-7 halftime deficit, replacing regular signal-caller Stone Phillips in the third quarter.

Phillips clicked on only 6 of 30 passing attempts before being lifted in favor of Rizzo. John Pagliaro paced the Yale running attack with 79 yards in 17 carries.

A heavily favored Brown team managed to eke out a 3-0 win over Rhode Island despite being all but smothered by the Rams for the entire game.

Bruin quarterback Paul Michalko had his problems, hitting on just 3 of 13 aerials for 30 yards. Brown's running attack managed a total of 263 yards against the inspired Rams, but faltered at critical moments.

Greg Rorke booted home the deciding field goal from 37 yards out after 15 seconds of the second quarter. URI kicker Pete Reilly missed a 16-yard attempt to tie the game in the third quarter.

Columbia's Lions hooked up in a high scoring battle with winless Lafayette, emerging with a pretty-poor-but-we'll-take-it 38-31 win at Baker Field in New York City. The Lions were outgained by a sizeable 415-310 margin, but nevertheless reached the .500 mark (1-1) for the first time since anyone can remember.

Ivy losers this week were Princeton (17-0 to Rutgers), Cornell (25-20 to Colgate) and Penn (24-21 to Lehigh).

The Tigers gained only 128 yards in total offense against the powerful Scarlet Knights, picking up only ten first downs in a rough penalty-filled contest.

Cornell suffered its ninth consecutive loss when Colgate, paced by quarterback Bob Relph, punched over a touchdown in the fourth quarter to overcome a 20-19 Big Red lead. Colgate was also aided by a 50-yard field goal from Jerry Andrewlavage in the second quarter.

Pennsylvania dropped an interesting but unimpressive decision to traditional rival Lehigh on Friday night.