Lamont Collects Crowds Despite Super Bowl Lure

By Marcela L. Davison

Lamont was still crowded despite the game. Yet even the most conscientious students couldn't have escaped the voices of Curt Gowdy and Vicky Carr, along with a few grunts sprinkled here and there by some athletic types in the background. The strains of Super Bowl XI could be heard in Europe, the Far East and the reserve desk of Lamont Library.

For many Harvard students the clash was between the Super Bowl and homework. Most took advantage of commercials to work; others set aside their work and gathered their friends to settle down to the event watched by almost as many Americans as any other.

The crowd at Eliot House was mostly male and anticipated the opening kickoff with seeming indifference. The presentation of the line-ups from both teams was greeted with assorted grunts and guffaws; Vicky Carr's rendition of "America the Beautiful" fared little better with the Eliot audience.

Minnesota was the team favored slightly at Eliot, leading the referees and Oakland by two votes.

Lamont

Back at Lamont, the Super Bowl received mixed reviews. Most people were there to study and felt no pangs at missing the game. "I watched that Super Bowl show and it was incredibly ridiculous," Trigg Render '77 said yesterday. "I really don't care who wins, it's a big commercial thing."

Those who did care could catch a glimpse of the last big game on a television set up behind the reserve desk. Com mentary was provided by the checkers working behind the counter.

Those who weren't tall enough to bend across could rely on a message board, which told the score as well as listing the books that were lent out.

"The presentation is ridiculous. No one really cares about it, people just want to watch the game," Fred Harold '78 said yesterday.

For three hours yesterday, Thayer South was unusually quiet. The crowd on the second floor was lamenting the troubles Minnesota had had all afternoon.

Fran Tarkenton's near misses to Chuck Foreman caused something close to cardiac arrest for many there