Fallows May Be Chief Carter Writer

New Republic Will Report

By Judy E. Matloff

James A. Fallows, '70, a current Carter speechwriter and former Crimson president, will probably be named chief White House speechwriter, according to an article to be published in New Republic Magazine's January 15 issue.

President-elect Carter originally considered offering the position to Patrick Anderson, his present speechwriter, according to the article written by John Osborne in the regular "White House Watch" column.

The article said that Anderson probably declined the position because of his refusal to work under press secretary Jody Powell.

Powell said yesterday he would not rule out the prospect of Fallows remaining on the Carter staff, but no official announcement would be made until next week.

Powell said Fallows had "worked well with Carter."

If Fallows become chief speech writer, he will head an office of seven or eight researchers, writers, stenographers and other aides, Powell said.

Fallows could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Fallows was a Rhodes Scholar and has written for numerous magazines and newspapers. Before taking his position on the Carter staff, he was writing an article for the New Yorker Magazine and a book for Random House.

According to the New Republic article, Fallows may accept the position although Fallows said last year he would like to return to journalistic writing.