Koreans List Professors As Enemies

Several persons named by the Korean government as enemies of the Park regime in a 1974 list published this week by the Boston Phoenix--a list which includes the names of two Harvard professor--said yesterday the document was meaningless.

Jerome A. Cohen, director of Asian Legal Studies and professor of Law, and Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor, are both categorized in the document as "class A" enemies, meaning they were to be denied entry into South Korea and had no "chance of repentence," according to the Phoenix article.

Reischauer said yesterday he heard about the enemies list a few months ago, but added he has been invited by the Korean government to attend meetings in South Korea several times since 1974 and did not think the Park regime would deny him an entrance visa.

Reischauer said he had declined invitations to travel to Korea since 1973, the last time he went there, because he was sure the meaning of his presence there would be manipulated.

"The list is a list of people the government feels are hostile towards it and I'm sure that is all it mean," Reischauer said.

"It doesn't bother me at all to be on it, in fact it might hurt right now not to be on it," Reischauer added.

Cohen was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Both Cohen and Reischauer are well known as outspoken critics of President Park Chung Hee's mistreatment of human rights in South Korea.

Edward W. Wagner, professor of Korean Studies, said yesterday he did not think the enemies list meant a great deal, adding he was surprised to see such an unsophisticated document.

"The Koreans are much more efficient than this. It must have just been the work of some middle level bureaucrat who wrote down the names of people who were hostile towards the Park regime at the time," Wagner said.

Gregory Henderson '44, a professor of law at Tuft's Fletcher School of Diplomacy, who is also categorized as a "class A" enemy on the list, said yesterday he heard about the list a while ago and "never took it very seriously."