Nelson Turns the Trick In 4-1 Crimson Triumph

Lee Nelson was annoyed before yesterday's Amherst soccer game that freshman Walter Diaz was tied with him for the team scoring lead (four points).

So he went out and scored all three Harvard first-half goals, leading the Crimson to a 4-1 victory and avenging last season's 5-1 loss. Diaz, of course, added the fourth goal, in the second half.

After a one-game scoring drought at Cornell, the Harvard offense was back on track yesterday. The front line exhibited good depth and the heel flicks and pin-point crosses which have become a part of the Harvard attack this year.

That's Using Your Head

A crisp Nelson header of a Lorenzo diBonaventura chip opened the scoring at 25:10.

At 33:30, Nelson scored number two on a pretty combination with winger Alberto Villar. Nelson trailed Villar down the left side, took a through pass and broke towards the net, blasting a 25-footer past Amherst goalie Rob Cole.

The hat trick came six minutes later. Nelson did like David Thompson, leaping with goalie Cole for a loose ball and heading it from Cole's outstretched arms. Diaz assisted Nelson with some fancy footwork in the right corner and a deflected cross to the goal mouth.

Villar's rushes represented much of the Harvard second-half offense.

Amherst's Bill Mintner, just off the bench, ruined captain Fred Herold's shutout bid at the 75 minute mark, taking advantage of a Harvard defensive break-down.

Diaz got that one back at 79:35 assisted by Andy Kronfeld.

While the offense was ticking, yesterday was the defense's turn for an off day. At least it came against 0-5 Amherst. Lapses in aggressive play prevented the Crimson from mounting a consistent attack and handed Amherst some golden opportunities. But Amherst couldn't find the net.

Back John Sanacore kicked out a sure Amherst goal in the first half and goalie Herold came up with 14 saves, many of them in a crowd.

Both Coach Ford and sweeper Jim Langton felt the defensive lapse was a one-game thing. "We got caught a couple times a bit flat," Ford said after the game. But "they've played well the first four games," Ford added.

Langton said the backs have been trying to work with the forwards on bringing the ball up, and that they will be ready for Friday's game with Dartmouth.