WHRB Sports Director Quits In Dispute Over Station Policy

By Marc E. Raven

WHRB radio sports director Jay Pearlman '78 yesterday announced his resignation effective November 12, criticizing what he called the station's negative attitude toward sports coverage.

Pearlman said yesterday the lack of staffing and attention given to sports programming justifies his complaint.

He said WHRB's broadcast of the Harvard-Dartmouth football game last Saturday precipitated the decision. The first 15 minutes of that game were not transmitted because there was no engineer in the studio.

Paul O'Moore '79, WHRB station manager, said yesterday that Pearlman's resignation had not been asked for and had not been expected.

Pearlman said WHRB's sports broadcasting is an important service to the Harvard community, adding, "If we do it, we must do it properly, or not do it at all."

He said his impression is that the management at the station does not want sports coverage. "I'm finally giving them what they want. I'm getting rid of myself," Pearlman said.

O'Moore said he felt that Pearlman was tired and overworked because of a lack of cooperation from some of the station's staff members. He said Pearlman could not be expected to do everything related to sports coverage. "I don't blame him for being angry," he said.

The manager denied that Pearlman's problems had been caused by management attitude. He said WHRB's heavy Harvard sports schedule shows that there is "no lack of commitment" to sports at the station.

O'Moore said he had not considered the matter of Pearlman's successor, and that Pearlman was still welcome to stay on at the station as sports director or in some other capacity.