Unbeaten Netwomen Stampede Jumbos

Freshman Roberts Shines In Upset Of Boston Champ

By Laura E. Schanberg

Egged on by promises of Steve's ice cream and the upcoming regional tournament. Harvard women's tennis team made surprisingly short work of Tufts, recording their first victory ever over the Jumbos, 7-2, yesterday in Medford.

The Crimson's number one singles player, Martha Roberts, decisively beat Judy Jacobs, the Greater Boston singles champ, 6-4, 6-3. Roberts played Jacobs's game--only better, both outserving and outveolleying her victim.

Far Out

Meg Meyer dropped the second slot match to Laurie Gallagher, 1 and 4. Libby Pierpont continued her winning ways, outlasting foe Pam Esserian in the last set to win, 6-3, 7-6.

Playing fourth, Sally Roberts lost one set before taking to the net to return Wendy Shahon's moon balls. Scrambling and patience paid off, as Roberts came from behind to score another point for Felske's racquetwomen, 5-7, 6-3, 6-1.

Captain Katie Ditzler, sporting "the strongest net game on the team," as Felske said, volleyed like a Californian should and won her match, 6-3, 6-4, over Dale Kampell. A newcomer to the sixth singles position, freshman Marjorie Solomon began her collegiate tennis career in style, defeating Donna More love and 4.

Coordination

In the first doubles, Terry Clarke and Leslie Miller recovered from a second set lapse to capture their seesaw battle, 6-1, 3-6, 6-1. Miller later admitted they only won because "Coach Felske said he'd treat us to ice cream."

Two freshmen, Janet Teltscher and Lisa Greco, joined forces at the second doubles spot, losing to the Jumbo team of Schwebel and Schwartz, 4-6, 1-6.

Another freshman duo (do they ever run out?) of Diane Leary and Sheila Hopkins snake-eyed their opposition. Western grips, top spin shots and Leary's net shot down the last of the flying elephants.

"This match was the first one that was really a challenge to us," manager Robin Worth said. "Tufts has lots of depth, just like we do, and winning a big match like this just before the New Englands is great for our confidence," she added.

"Harvard is going to be a tennis superpower, a neo-Princeton," Clarke said. "Except we don't play in turtlenecks and alligators," Pier pont added.