Pudding

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing in response to your article, "Pudding Script Comp Under Fire," as I was quoted unfairly and out of context. My comment that the Pudding "will encourage practically anyone to write a script" was in response to a question whether the Theatricals "invites" select people to compete. The Pudding script competition is open to all comers, and the officers attempt to draw from as many sources--both inside and outside the dramatic community--as possible. The comment was not, as the article seemed to imply, in agreement with Paris Barclay's statement that the Pudding Theatricals (not the club, by the way) encourages needless numbers of people to devote their summers to script writing.

The script competition was scrupulously fair and professional and the officers were willing and available for discussion and guidance. There was no "needless encouragement," nor did anybody who wished to test his/her mettle have the door slammed in their face. Those who competed knew--or should have known themselves--what kind of work was involved, and what the risks were. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. JunMakihara '79