Yale Walkout Continues; Bladderball Game Doesn't

Senior Arrested in Strike-Related Protest

By Robert O. Boorstin

New Haven plainsclothes policemen arrested Yale senior Peter Henry last Wednesday on charges of disorderly conduct, in the latest of a series of strike-related developments.

Henry and 25 other Yale students were demonstrating to support striking members of Local 35 of the University Employees Union. Henry is the first student to be arrested in connection with the four-week-old walkout.

The students congregated outside the university commons and followed a city garbage truck that was completing its trash pick-ups, Henry said yesterday. "We tried to prevent it from picking up the trash and followed it for several blocks," he added.

Yale students failed to appear at last Saturday's annual Bladderball game, and administration and student sources said yesterday the tradition is dying.

In 1956 a group of students introduced bladderball to the New Haven campus when they placed a 12-foot canvas sphere in the center of the Old Campus, Yale's version of Harvard Yard. For the last 20 years, students have struggled valiantly to push, pull and maneuver the ball toward their residential colleges.

Last year, however, pre-game rivalries resulted in $7000 damage to university dining facilities and suspension of nine students involved.

Gaddis Smith, chairman of Yale's Council of Masters, said yesterday, "In light of the inherently dangerous nature of

6