Duke Talks

By Roger M. Klein

Governor Michael S. Dukakis yesterday suggested he would sign into law a bill that would suspend Sunday closing laws for the four Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

"I'd rather have community control, but four Sundays are better than nothing," Dukakis said, referring to an alternative proposal that would permit each municipality to impose "blue laws" to the extent it desired.

Dukakis discussed the blue law bill after a taped interview with WHRB's "Cambridge Questions," which will be broadcast Sunday. During the interview, Dukakis endorsed the concept that government should attempt to guarantee a job to all adults.

He also endorsed President Carter's welfare reform plan, which he said he will support in testimony before Congressional committees.

The governor defended the sharp cuts in spending for social services he made in 1975, saying severe budgetary problems spurred the reductions, most of which have since been eliminated.

He said he does not think the budget cuts and his advocacy of "workfare"--a proposal that would require welfare recipients to work for non-union wages for their government stipends--has not reduced support for his re-election among members of the liberal wing of the Democratic