Netwomen End Perfect Season By Soaring Over B.C. Eagles, 6-1; Martha Roberts Stars

By Laura E. Schanberg

The Harvard women's tennis team wound up its fall season with a decisive 6-1 victory over local rival Boston College yesterday afternoon at Soldiers Field.

Number one Martha Roberts, finishing unbeaten in match play. glossed over Kathy Lynch, 6-1, 6-4. Meg Meyer turned on the steam after dropping her first set, outlasting Dede Krieger, 5-7, 6-0, 6-1.

At the third position, Libby Pierpont handled Martina Nolan, the foe who beat her in the Greater Boston finals, with surprising ease, 6-3, 6-2. Sally Roberts, playing number four, downed Mary Ann McCarthy 7-5, 6-2, while in the fifth singles match Katie Ditzler breezed by Kristin Fullam, 3 and 2.

In doubles play, Terry Clarke and Leslie Miller lost to Joanne Ruel and Cathy Streich, 1-6, 4-6. Diane Leary and Sheila Hopkins turned the tables in the second doubles, easing by their BC opponents Martha Moorhead and Betty Quigley, 6-2, 6-3.

Closing out the fall campaign with an unblemished 4-0 record, the Crimson have emerged as the team to beat in the Boston area. Armed with the Greater Boston Tournament title, the Mass State title, and a third place finish in the New England Regional Championships, the women in white are fighting to carve a niche among the traditional powerhouses of the Northeast.

Clake and captain Ditzler agreed that this fall "was only a warmup. The real season begins in the spring." Ditzler added, "We've made our mark in the Boston area. Now we want to work hard this winter and branch out next season."

Winter Work

During the offseason, the netwomen are scheduled for indoor court time late at night, early in the morning, and two weekday afternoons each week. Women's team Coach PeterFelske, who will also be assisting the men's team, will work with the women's team members on specific weaknesses.

Felske said the team practices well together and the winter break should provide a good opportunity for individual improvement. "Martha, Meg, and Libby are so closely matched that they make great sparring partners for each otehr," he added.

Pierpont noted the overwhelming success of the fall mini-season was a "great time" and "built up team confidence." She added that the netwomen are prepared to face much tougher competition in the spring, when Ivy League competition begins.

With freshmen holding 12 of the 16 spots on the team, and a new coach enthusiastically leading the way, Yale and Princeton had better watch out.