Law Students To Salute Women of'53

By Stephen Bates

A "Celebration 25" committee is sending invitations to 50 prominent women in law and government for the 25th anniversary reunion of the Law School class of 1953, the first to graduate women.

Sheila Kuehl, chairman of the reunion committee and a third year law student said yesterday the committee has been planning the April 13-16 reunion for almost a year.

The Class of 1953 included 12 women.

April Reunion

Reunion activities will include an April 13 afternoon speaker and a night-time career conference, open to the entire community. The conference will "explore how people use their legal education," Kuehl said.

A panel on women as a political force is scheduled for April 14, featuring women in national, state and local government as speakers.

Ruth B. Ginsburg, a Columbia law professor who has litigated several sex discrimination suits before the Supreme Court, will be the keynote speaker for the reunion, Kuehl said.

Panel discussions following the April 15 keynote speech will focus on the way women work within the traditional law firm structure, alternate careers, and latest law developments as they affect women. A fourth panel is tentatively titled "Towards a Feminist Jurisprudence," Kuehl said. One confirmed panelist is Brenda Feigen-Fastau, who operates a feminist law firm in New York.

The reunion will also spawn a publication, Women's Law Journal, which may at first be published annually, Kuehl said.

"We talked about combining a book with articles by women about women and the law for the 'Celebration 25,'" she said, adding, "Then we started thinking, 'why not start a journal?"

The first issue, to come out for the reunion, will be completely funded by the Law School Association.

Besides working on "Celebration 25," Kuehl is preparing for the Ames Competition at the Law School next month, where she will be the first woman to compete.

Prior to entering Law School, Kuehl was associate dean of students at the University of California Los Angeles. She had been a television actress, beginning at age 9 with "Trouble With Father," and played Dobie Gillis's erstwhile girlfriend Zelda in that series.

Kuehl said further details about speakers will be released next week