Yale Pickets Will Not Keep Harvard Students From Game

By Pamela R. Saunders

Despite the picket line striking Yale employees will form outside the Yale bowl Saturday afternoon to discourage people from attending the game, Harvard students contacted yesterday who planned to attend the game said they will enter the gates anyway.

Two students who transferred to Harvard from Yale this year, however, said yesterday the picket line would have deterred them from attending the game if they had planned to go.

"I support the strike implicitly," Thomas C. Viles '79, said yesterday, adding that his former roommate at Yale has been very active in student strike support activities.

"If students oppose the workers, tuitions will go up, job security will go down, and the crisis will go on," Viles said. "If I were going down, I certainly wouldn't be crossing the picket line," he added.

Kimberly C. Patton '80, the other transfer student, said yesterday, "I don't feel that strongly about football so I probably wouldn't cross the line."

"Sure, the Yale game is fun," Patton said. "But it's not more important than this food strike," Patton added.

Yale's Varsity football coach Albert P. Bruno said yesterday, "The only thing we're concerned with right now is the football game." He added, "We have no feelings about the strike. It'd be a shame if it did anything to deter from a traditional game like this."

"We're just going down to beat Yale," Craig T. Beling '79, a varsity football player, said yesterday. "We don't have anything to do with the strike. It's an internal thing that doesn't concern us," Beling added.

"I think the Harvard-Yale game goes beyond picket lines," Scott J. Schoen '80 said yesterday.

The employees will picket the game to protest the Yale administration's refusal to begin negotiations with the striking workers and to turn the dispute over to a third-party arbitrator.

A union source said last night there are normally no maintenance workers in the stadium, but that the union believed the picket lines were an important gesture