Students Send South Africa Letter to Bok

By Scott A. Rosenberg

A representative of the Southern African solidarity Committee (SASC) yesterday presented a letter to President Bok outlining the proposals for University investment policy which it passed two weeks ago.

The proposals urge the Corporation to sell all stock it owns in commercial banks that lend to the South African government. The SASC also asked the Corporation to support or sponsor a shareholder resolution that would curtail companies' operation in South Africa.

President Bok could not receive the letter personally because of his tight schedule, Lisa Jones '78, temporary chairman of the SASC, said yesterday.

"The letter is on the President's desk," Elizabeth H. Keul, administrative assistant to the president, said yesterday.

Last Wednesday, the Corporation sent letters to the 50 companiers with holdings in South Africa in which it owns stock, outlining its policies on U.S. corporation operations in South Africa. The Corporation's letter emphasized the role of companies' employment practices in upgrading the conditions of non-white workers in South Africa.

The SASC also sent copies of its letter to the president to members of the Board of Overseers.

Bok could not be reached yesterday for comment.