FDO Reviews Security in Harvard Yard

By James L. Tyson jr.

The Freshman Dean's Office is reviewing security in Harvard Yard and warning freshmen of possible security problems following the rape of two women in Leverett House last month.

Since no new security measures instituted by Harvard could prevent what happened at Leverett House, the major thrust of the review is directed toward making sure that freshmen are aware of common sense security measures, Henry C. Moses, dean of freshmen, said yesterday.

Proctors will review protective measures with their proctees, a self-defense session may be offered to Yard residents, and the Yard Bulletin will include security tips, Moses said.

A group of representatives from the Freshman Dean's Office and the Freshman Council will meet next week to determine the areas in the yard that need more lighting.

The areas around Eliot Gate, Wigglesworth, and the Union need new lighting the most, Kate Elliot'81, a Freshman Council representative, said yesterday.

A locksmith has inspected the locks in the Yard, and maintenance men have removed the hooks which can be used to keep dorm doors open in an effort to save energy and increase security, Moses said.